The HR at our firm organised a session on self defense tactics the other day. Here are some highlights from the session:
1. If you are ever caught in a terror attack in the open (like it happened in delhi), try and get down into a gutter (though you may smell horrible after that, atleast you will be alive!)
2. If you are caught in the midst of gunfire, get down on all fours; then try and find a pillar behind which you could hide.
3. In a hostage situation, never ever engage in conversation with the hostage takers.
4. In a situation like the one at Taj, try and get as close to windows leading out of the building as possible; it becomes easier for search and rescue teams. To be on the safer side, crouch below the windows.
5. As soon as you perceive a threat in the form of a terror attack, put your cellphone in vibration mode; message someone you know of your location.
And the biggest thing in all such situations -- DO NOT PANIC!!!